Thursday 25 August 2011

Kimono, kimono, kimono!

Over the past year, I have worked very hard on my favourite project so far. It is a Japanese infused coursework and I have taken much time and much interest in it.

It started off with Hokusai. I was working on painting waves, and the way in which he portrayed them was beautiful. I created my own wave pattern based on him and created a painting in his style.

Following this, I wanted to explore Japanese art further. This took me to printing.

Here are some prints I did based on an acetate taken from the top section of my painting:


These two prints were my final pieces. I achieved this rather unique look by printing on the wave pattern and then washing in the colour with fabric dye that had been diluted. To keep it fresh, I used some wax crayon in white to draw in a few lines around the print, by doing this, it created resistance to the dye and added an interesting effect.

This is my favourite of the two prints. I love the bright colours, it screams 60s psychadelia and led me on to doing a sub project on the 60s.

Still unsatisfied and hungry for more Japanese art, I explored into the wide land of fashion! The Japanese kimono seemed like a fantastic opportunity to learn about textiles and dress making. I wanted to keep it the same as the way the prints were made to stay true to my ideas.

                       The final product!








After I had finished my kimono, I decided to go back to the 60s psychadelic look. After some research I noticed there was a trend of.. TIE DYE! Loving the colours and crazy theme, I embarked on a tie-dye mission.



 In the making...





My final psychadelic project, I hope there will be many more!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment